If you want to escape the busy city life, experience the beauty, tranquillity, captivating, exquisite and breathtaking views of the Swartberg Mountains and waterfall, Swartberg Backpackers is the perfect place for you.
We are situated on an eco-friendly farm with a waterfall, 5km from the Swartberg Pass entrance (on the side of the Cango Caves), 45 km from Oudtshoorn.
The accommodation will provide you with a full kitchen with an oven and refrigerator and barbecue facilities with free wood. You can enjoy a waterfall, mountain and farm dam view from the units. The Ark also has a table tennis to keep the children and even adults busy.
Instead of electricity, we use solar electricity, gas and wood fires. This means no TV. The solar electricity provides enough power to charge a laptop, cellular phone, room lights as well as a portable 12V fridge. There are solar geysers and gas to provide warm water and a stainless steel "donkie" for the overcast and rainy days.
Our accommodation consists of:
Two-bedroom chalet: It has a double bed and a bunk bed. Sleeps 4 people. This apartment has a small open-plan kitchen and en-suite bathroom with shower only.
Dormitory: This unit consists of two rooms of which both have 4 bunk beds and can sleep up to 16 guests. The rooms have en-suite bathrooms with a shower, toilet and basin. They both open onto the open-plan area with kitchen, built-in braai, lounge, dining room and table tennis set. Please note: Minimum booking for 4 people
We provide the following at no additional charge:
- Hiking trail to the waterfall and natural rock pool
- Ride on a trailer hooked to a tractor to the dam for swimming
- Pedal cars for children
- Target shooting
- Volley ball
- Table tennis
- Free public parking is possible on site (reservation is not needed)
- Pets are allowed. No extra charges
- BBQ facilities
- There is no Restaurant or shop on the premises
- We provide "Braai" packs on request
Other activities in the area:
- Swartberg Pass - 5 km
- Prince Albert - 38 km (1 hour drive through the Swartberg Pass)
- Gamkaskloof or "The Hell" is an exciting 2 hour, 4x4 drive for the adventurers (On the Swartberg Pass) - 40 km
- Wilgewandel Holiday Farm - 18 km
- Cango Caves - 20 km
- Rust en Vrede waterfall - 27 km
- Cango Ostrich Farm/riding - 29.9 km
- Wine tasting at Karusa Vineyard & Wines - 33 km
- Elephant feeding/safari’s at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge - 34.6 km
- Cango Wildlife Ranch - 40.5 km (They offer: Dive with crocodile)
- Arbeidsgenot Museum in Oudtshoorn - 45 km
- C.P. Nel Museum in Oudtshoorn - 45 km
- Le Roux Townhouse Museum in Oudtshoorn - 45 km
- Meerkat adventure Tours - on R62
- Cango Caves
- Cango Ostrich Farm
- Cango Wildlife Ranch
We offer discounts at the following attractions: