|The South African Ostrich Business Chamber
The ostrich industry has been organized into an umbrella organization, called the South African
Ostrich Business Chamber with headquarters in Oudtshoorn. Its income is generated from a
contribution paid on each slaughter bird, collected at the participating abattoirs. The
Chamber is supported by two well established organizations:
- The National Ostrich Processors of South Africa - NOPSA
- The South African Ostrich Producers Organization - SAOO
The SAOBC serves as a coordinating body for the ostrich industry to benefit both the
producers and the processors of ostriches and ostrich products
The Mission of the SAOBC is to promote a sustainable, economically viable ostrich
industry through co-operation between stakeholders.
SAOBC Objects and Powers
- To promote the interests of the Ostrich Processing industry in South Africa.
- To approach Government in co-operation with the South African Ostrich Business Chamber,
to coordinate any matter directly or indirectly affecting the affairs of the Ostrich
- To collect and circulate market information and statistics.
- To secure coordinating action between the Association, as well as
to protect the interest of and/or render non-financial assistance to such members
and to create goodwill and harmony amongst the members of the Association.
- To undertake the institution and/or defense of legal proceedings affecting
the interests of the Association.
- To issue press statements on behalf of its members, relating to the
industry and matters affecting it.
- To serve as a Forum for constant dialogue amongst its members and to promote
dialogue between other members in the industry i.e. Producers.
- To raise or borrow money upon such terms and in such a manner and upon such
securities as the Association shall deem fit and to secure the same or the repayment
or performance of any debt, liability, contract or engagement incurred or entered
in by the Association in any way and in particular by giving mortgages, charge or
securities charged upon or over all or any of the Association's real and personal
property (both present and future) and to purchase, pay off or redeem any such securities.
- To do all such other acts and things as the Association may consider incidental
or conductive to the attainment of the above objects or any of them.
- No profits accruing to the Association may be distributed to any member.
- To promote public interest in ostrich products, especially meat, leather, finished
products and feathers by way of advertising and marketing assistance.
For any information regarding the ostrich industry, please contact the South African Ostrich