Oudtshoorn Info
Tuesday, 25 July 2017  0:43am SA Time 
Back to Main Culture page
Historical Buildings - A Short Tour

C.P Nel Museum


On the corner of Voortrekker Road and Baron van Reede Street is a good place to start. Open Monday to Saturday, 09:00 to 17:00, closed on public holidays. The museum charges a small entrance fee. It was built in 1906. Architect: Charles Bullock.. Originally The Boys High School.

More info on the C.P. Nel Museum…

Montague House.

12 Baron van Reede Street. 1908. Architect: Possibly Charles Bullock. It was built for the Lipschitz-family and is now a National Heritage Site.

Prince Vincent & Co.

Corner of Church and Baron van Reede Street. 1914. Architect: Watson Hall. The business was one of the oldest and largest established Produce and General Merchants in South Africa.

Presbyterian Church and Manse.


43-45 Baron van Reede Street. Church 1923. Architect: Simpson   Bridgman. Manse 19th Century. Owner: Matare.

St. Jude’s Complex.

57-61 Baron van Reede Street. Church 1860. Architect: Sophie Gray (wife of first Bishop of Cape Town). Rectory: 1861. Victoria Memorial Hall: 1904. School: 1901. Botha House: 19th Century. Tuishuis: 1862. Original Country Club.

More info on St. Jude's Complex…

Gottland House.



72 Baron van Reede Street. 1902. Architect: Charles Bullock. Owner C.M. Lind.

Synagogue Complex.

83 Baron van Reede Street. Synagogue: 1888. Architect: George Wallis. The complex also contained the Jewish Club, Hebrew School and Rabbi’s House.

Mimosa Lodge.


85 Baron van Reede Street. 1907. Architect: Charles Bullock. Owner: R. Sladowski.

More info on
Mimosa Lodge…

Roman Catholic Cathedral.


78 Baron van Reede Street. 1964. Architects: Bergamasco, Duncan & Assoc. Cape Town.

Oudtshoorn Gaol.

116-118 Baron van Reede Street. Early 19th Century. Architect: Possibly George Wallis. Additions: P. Eagle. Government architect.

Oakdene House.

Baron van Reede Street. One of the oldest buildings in Oudtshoorn. The plot originally belonged to Rev. T.J. van der Riet. It was built in 1853. In front of the house is a old water furrow dated 1847. Original Oak trees still stand outside.

146 Baron van Reede Street.


1860’s. Former home of miss Hudson, Governess to Pauline Smith, authoress of “Stories of the Little Karoo”.

Fairview.



131 Baron van Reede Street. Early 20th Century.

Suspension Bridge.

Church Street. 1913. Made by Rowley & Sons. London. Local contracting engineer: E. Helfritz.

More info on the Suspension Bridge…

Arbeidsgenot.

217 Jan van Riebeeck Road. 1898. Home of C.J. Langenhoven, renowned South African author, poet and politician. Father of the Afrikaans language.

Pinehurst.

186 Jan van Riebeeck Road. 1911. Architect: J.E. Vixeboxse. Original owner: E.T.L. Edmeades.

More info on Pinehurst…

The Old Pavillion.

Voortrekker Road. 1894. Built for recreation Grounds Co.

Dutch Reformed Church Parsonage.


141 High Street. 1881. Architect: Otto Hager. Mid-Victorian style with Neo-Classic influence.

Dutch Reformed Church.

High Street. 1860-1879. Architects: George Wallis, Otto Hager. The model for the five angels standing in front of the pulpit was Maria van Rooyen from Oudtshoorn.

More info on the Dutch Reformed Church…

Town House.

146 High Street. 1908. Architect: Charles Bullock. Owner: J.H.J. le Roux. Currently ancillary to the C.P. Nel museum. The little house at the back was originally a shop. During the great influenza epidemic of 1918, it was used as a hospital.

170 High Street.




Late 19th Century.

171 High Street.




Early 20th Century.

Ton’s Cycle Shop.

194 High Street. 1894. Originally Gibbs Drapery Store. Later Apocetharys shop. (Die Rooi Apteek.) Now Melville Superette.

Criterion Hotel.

213 High Street. Early 20th Century. Designed by Charles Bullock in 1908 for Mr. Mark Morris. Currently the Baron’s Palace.

Rus in Urbe.

(Foster House) 54 Voortrekker Street. 1902. Architect: Charles Bullock. Owner: J.A. Foster, M.L.A. He went bankrupt in 1914 with the crash of the feather industry.

More info on Rus in Urbe…

Drill Hall.

8 Camp Street. 1892. Oudtshoorn Volunteer Rifles. Currently Dutch Reformed Church Hall. The foundation stone was laid by Cecil John Rhodes in 1892.

Youth Hostel.



84 Adderley Street. 1894. Originally public school for girls.

Source: Oudtshoorn Under The Skin (A Traveller's Guide)


  Article Date: 12 April 2007

Google

WWW Oudtshoorn Info
Back to Main Culture pageTo Top

Did You Know ?

The road through Meiring's Poort, constructed by Adam de Smidt, was officially opened on the 4th of March, 1858.

Book Online Route 62Hlangana LodgeThree times AA award winning Guest HouseSwartberg Circle RouteLugro Ostrich Leather ProductsSurval Boutique Olive EstateKlein Karoo WeddingsBackpacker's Paradise - Oudtshoorn Accommodation

Local Flora

Succulent Karoo species
Lugro Ostrich Leather Products - Exclusively Handmade
Copyright © 2017  ::  Oudtshoorn Info  -  Site designed, built and hosted by:  WebWorX

•  Privacy Policy: No Personal Details are divulged  •