Oudtshoorn Info
Friday, 19 April 2019  9:23am SA Time 
Back to Main Culture page
Fosters Manor

A short introduction:

Mr. J.A. Foster, M.L.A. (1904), local Oudtshoorn attorney, asked Mr Bullock to design a double storey manor house in 1902. The building was erected in the Tudor-Bethan style with the lower level of local dressed sandstone and the top storey of burned bricks and the inner walls of mesh - plastered panels by Mellville Brown Jnr. Across the central section and at either end, are double-storied verandahs with cast-iron railings. The gables are false - half timbering. The main features of the front elevation are the flight of stone steps and encaustic tiling upon the floor of the front stoep. The window fan-lights and door panels with the lily motif are of stained glass. In the hallway the 'dado' is of teak panelling. A teak staircase with heavy lion-carved posters leads to the top storey. The ceilings and dados are of geometrical papier mÂché pressed patterns. The Municipal valuation in 1907 was £10,500.12.

In 1915 the Teachers' Training College was founded and in July, 1916 the building was hired for £300 per annum from the Standard Bank out of the insolvent estate of Mr Foster. The building was used for this purpose till 1924.

Later it was used as a Girls' Hostel for the Commercial School and as school offices.

In 1972 the building was evacuated and rapid decay is taking place. The school committee in co-operation with the local Historical Society and members of the Foundation Simon van der Stel have submitted a petition to the authorities for the conservation, restoration and declaration of the building as a National Monument.

In 1973 the administrator temporarily placed the building on the declaration list.

More Information

A Wedding Ceremony at Foster's Folly - 20 September 1912
Hier is met geld gemors - 21 April 1950
Rus-in-Urbe gered - 23 September 1989
Brief aan Departement - Plaaslike Bestuur, Behuising en Werke - 16 Maart 1990
Die stryd teen die bewaring van die Foster-huis - 26 Mei 1990
Foster's Folly declared as National Monument - 17 May 1991
Foster's Folly aangewys as Nationale Monument - 17 Mei 1991


  Article Date: 13 August 2004

Google

WWW Oudtshoorn Info
Back to Main Culture pageTo Top

Did You Know ?

The ratel does not have external ears. Rather, the ear is enclosed in the skin, with an opening that can be closed to keep out dirt when the ratel is digging.

Book Online Hlangana LodgeSurval Boutique Olive EstateLugro Ostrich Leather ProductsOudtshoorn Estate Agent - Pam GoldingKlein Karoo WeddingsSwartberg Circle RouteRoute 62Three times AA award winning Guest HouseBackpacker's Paradise - Oudtshoorn Accommodation

Local Flora

Succulent Karoo species
Lugro Ostrich Leather Products - Exclusively Handmade
Copyright © 2019  ::  Oudtshoorn Info  -  Site designed, built and hosted by:  WebWorX

•  Privacy Policy: No Personal Details are divulged  •